Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Zaha Hadid's Block


Speaking of Ursula.Found this post at dezeen the other day. Zaha's design of the King Abdullah II House of Culture & Art. How can you not love Haha's new opus? We usually get aversion towards her work whenever something new comes out (because of insecurity ferhafs). I remember in one forum that,with the numerous projects Zaha's firm (can you call it firm) is doin, it is actually not Zaha who designs anymore. A lot of em' are grads from AA where Ursula and his partner, Patrick Shoemaker regularly hangs out and drink beers. Just an fyi, AA is where Zaha learned to be wild.Goin back to this performing arts center, I have to admit, this is one of my favs in Hadid collecshun. The design is derived from the carved stone buildings and eroded rock formations at Petra in Jordan.
IF you have a perfectly square stone with carved-like formation in the mid, don't you think it is already amazing? Blow it up and you have King Absduhllah's center. From afar, people can look like termites and Zaha is the queen giving birth to millions of her admirers....i mean followers. I remember this song from JLO:

Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got
I'm still, I'm still Zaha from the block
Used to have a little, now I have a lot...

One wonders what's next for Zaha or what her minions will do next. Together with Patrick Schumacker, theyve done almost everything in the formal design approach. Can they leave some to others? Ok..Insecure much?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis